World : Anti-War
M20 Protests All Around The World
IMC Features Collective
21 Mar 2004 02:48 GMT
Millions have rallied all around the globe, both on March 19, the actual anniversary of the invasion, as well as March 20--the anniversary of worldwide protests against the war.
In Iraq, a demonstration took place in Baghdad in tandem with protests around the world against the violence of the occupation. The protest was also a powerful show of unity between Sunni and Shia muslims. The marches started with the Shias in Khadamiya, and the Sunnis across the river in Adamiya. The two groups met just as the Shias came over the bridge, and emotions were high as they merged into one. Then together they walked to a public square where speakers denounced the occupation and called for unity between all Iraqis.
Protest Coverage Around the World:
- Amsterdam, Nederlands [ Video | Photos: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 ]
- Barcelona, Spain [photos ]
- Berlin, Germany [ photos ]
- Brussels, Belgium [ photos: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 ]
- Chicago, IL [ stories: 1 ] [photos: 1, 2, 3 ] [videos: 1, 2 ]
- Crawford, Texas [ photos ]
- Dublin, Ireland [ photos: 1 | 2 | 3 ]
- Goeteborg, Sweden [ photos ]
- East Timor [ photos ]
- London [ photos: 1, 2 ]
- Manila, Phillipines [ photos/story ]
- Melbourne, Australia [ Photos ]
- Michigan (multiple cities) [ photos/story ]
- New York [ photos ]
- Pittsburg, PA [ photos ]
- Portland M20 [ photos ]
- Puerto Rico [ photos/story ]
- Rome, Italy [ Photos: 1, 2 ]
- San Diego [ Stories from the street: Critical Mass Photos: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 ]
- San Francisco M19 [ photos/story ]
- SF M20 [ photos ]
Compilation of Reports from Arkansas-Indymedia
Photos/Numbers from 80+ protests from Germany-Indymedia
Live streaming audio from the streets:
[Chicago IMC (signed off) | Portland IMC | Washington, DC IMC (signed off) | Enemy Combatant Radio (still broadcasting) (SF-Bay Indymedia)] | More Radio Streams
In San Francisco, on March 19, 1,000 activists demanded money for healthcare and education, not for war an education. Some activists opened a squat, while others chained themselves to the Bechtel building to protest war profiteering.
On March 20, The largest protest worldwide took place in Rome, Italy, with estimates running as high as two million. Up to 100,000 rallied in London [ photos: 1, 2 ] and as many as 150,000 in Barcelona. photos ]
In Portland, over 20,000 people marched in the street. [ photos ] Smaller groups after the main march took intersections and were confronted by police.
Tens of thousands marched in 3 arrests. There was later a breakaway march of around 200 people. No further arrests reported.
In Texas, hundreds marched through Austin and rallied outside a police station as part of an ongoing campaign against police brutality there. Later, as many as 1,000 converged near Bush's ranch in -Crawford, TX.
In Manila, Phillippines, several hundred protesters clashed with police outside the U.S. Embassy. Demonstrators also gathered in Cairo.
More events will be posted as information becomes available.